Preventing Macular Degeneration
Beverly Hills, Westlake Village, and Los Angeles, California
Macular degeneration is the primary cause of vision loss in people 65+ years old. Although there is no guaranteed way to reduce your risk level, there are certain lifestyle changes you can make that will help protect you from the onset of this age-related eye disease. If you have a family history of macular degeneration, it is especially important to take steps to prevent it.
If you are experiencing symptoms of vision loss, call us today at (888) 339-8143 to schedule an eye exam with our experienced Los Angeles ophthalmologist Dr. Khanna.
Steps to Prevent Macular Degeneration
The best defense against macular degeneration is a healthy lifestyle. Studies show that people with a poor diet and high blood pressure are much more likely to develop macular degeneration. Additionally, smoking increases your risk of macular degeneration by as much as 50%.
Some specific tips for preventing macular degeneration include:
- Exercise – Even a thirty minute walk once a day can go a long way toward helping you maintain good cardiovascular health.
- Diet – Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, along with dark, leafy greens. Avoid high-fat foods and processed meals. Eat more fish and less beef.
- Vitamins and minerals – It’s important to make sure you are getting enough vitamin A, C, and E, along with zinc and copper. All of these vitamins and minerals have been proven to slow the progress of macular degeneration. Taking a multi-vitamin every day is the easiest way to ensure your body gets what it needs.
- Sunglasses – UV rays can damage your eyes over time, making them more vulnerable to macular degeneration and many other eye diseases. Wearing sunglasses is a key way of protecting your eyes.
- Regular eye exams – You should have annual eye exams to check for symptoms of macular degeneration and other diseases. It is much easier to slow the development of macular degeneration when it is detected in its early stages.
If you have further questions about macular degeneration or general eye health, please contact The Khanna Institute today or call (888) 339-8143 to schedule an eye exam with Dr. Khanna. We serve patients in Beverly Hills, Westlake Village, and surrounding areas of Los Angeles, California.