Your Guide Through the Los Angeles LASIK Journey
By Beverly Hills eye surgeon, Dr. Khanna
Preparation for laser eye surgery:
- Contact Lens Removal: In order for the eyes to be ready for laser treatment, it is necessary to discontinue the wear of contact lenses well in advance of visiting our Beverly Hills eye surgery facility. Soft lenses should not be worn for at least three days before laser treatment. If you suffer from any contact lens-related eye irritation, allergy, or other condition, you may have to discontinue lens wear sooner. If you wear gas-permeable lenses, you may need to remove your lenses several weeks before treatment. We will advise you on this matter.
- Eat a very light meal at the mealtime before your surgery. Do not have any alcoholic beverages on the day of surgery. If you take medications you may take these as necessary, with a few sips of water.
- Please remove all facial and eye makeup before coming to the center. We recommend not wearing any eye makeup on the day of your surgery. This means no mascara, no eyeliner, no eye shadow, etc.
- Do not wear any fragrance, cologne, or scented lotions on the day of your surgery. Presence of colognes or fragrance, even in trace amounts, can distort the transmission of the UV light in the laser, and can therefore cause an imperfect result or unpredictable effect.
- If you do smoke, please refrain from smoking for at least 2 hours before your scheduled surgery.
- Please arrange for a friend or relative to drive you to and from the surgery center on the day of your surgery. You may also prefer to have a friend drive you to our office for your follow-up visit the next day.
- You will be given a kit containing aftercare instructions and a starter supply of the necessary eye drops immediately after your procedure.
- You will be given an appointment for a checkup the day after the procedure, at our office.
- If you have any questions, please call Khanna Lasik Institute at 1-877-2-Khanna.
LASIK Activity Schedule
RECOMMENDED ACTIVITY SCHEDULE FOLLOWING
UNCOMPLICATED BILATERAL LASIK SURGERY
Day of LASIK Surgery
- The day of Lasik surgery should be a day of rest. Wear the eye shields until the morning after surgery, remove them when you wake.
- Always be very careful about activities where the eye may be poked, rubbed or touched.
- Always avoid squeezing or rubbing eyes. (Rubbing is never a good idea – instead, use lubricant drops for irritation).
- Avoid staring without lubricating the eyes. Avoid reading and staring at the computer(Music on MP3).
24 Hours After LASIK Surgery
- Take a bath instead of a shower. Avoid any soap or water in the eyes.
- Restrict movement to light activities. Work should probably be avoided. Work at home is acceptable.
- Driving short distances after the eye examination is acceptable if adequate vision is confirmed at the post-operative evaluation.
- Reading and watching TV is acceptable as long as adequate eye lubrication is maintained.
- Flying in airplanes is acceptable but keep eyes generously lubricated (every 30 minutes) – airplanes have very dry air.
48 Hours After LASIK Surgery
- Driving can be resumed if adequate vision is confirmed at post-operative evaluation.
- Shower (but continue to avoid any soap or water in the eyes).
- Apply face makeup (but not eye makeup).
- Do office work.
- Use computers-MAC or windows doesn’t matter,but LCD screen is helpful (but it is very important to keep eyes well-lubricated).
3 Days After LASIK Surgery
- Exercise without risk to the eyes (e.g. treadmill, Stairmaster, stationary bike).
- Playing with children (be careful).
- Moderate alcohol consumption may be resumed.
- Lifting weights.
1 Week After LASIK Surgery
- Applying eye makeup (avoid touching the eyes).
- Jogging outdoors.
- Relaxed bicycling (no mountain biking).
- Playing golf.
1 Month after LASIK Surgery(with eye protection)
- Racquet sports – tennis, squash, racquetball, badminton (but always wear eye protection).
- Swimming. Scuba diving; snorkeling.
- Sun-tanning (please have UV protecting sunglasses on. Suntan lotion on skin and not in the eyes)
- Motorcycling; dirt biking; mountain biking.
- Baseball; basketball; football; soccer.
3 Months after LASIK Surgery(with eye protection)
- Proceed with caution as these activities have a high risk of water being forced into the eyes:
- Water skiing; wind surfing.
For more information about Lasik at Khanna Institute of Lasik, please call or email us today!