IntraLase vs. Microkeratome
Serving Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, and Westlake Village, California
If you have been researching LASIK for any length of time, you have probably noticed debate on which is the better instrument to create the corneal flap: the IntraLase laser or the microkeratome. You’ve probably also noticed that the answer is not as simple as one or the other, as there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
– A. Anita
Advantages of the Microkeratome
- More comfortable for the patient
- Faster recovery time
- Less pain or discomfort
- Less suction needed
- Total treatment time is shorter than with IntraLase
- No need for long-term steroid use
Advantages of the IntraLase Laser
- Computerized rather than mechanical
- Fewer reported corneal abrasions
- If there are flap complications, the surgeon only has to wait one hour to try again. With a microkeratome, the procedure is aborted and the patient must wait three months to try again.
Arguments have been made that the IntraLase is more precise and produces better results, and some surveys and studies have supported this contention. But there’s not enough data at this point to establish it firmly.
Excellent Results Either Way
The two most important points to remember are:
- LASIK is one of the safest surgeries performed and the rate of complications with either instrument is very small.
- The skill and experience of your surgeon are the key components to a successful outcome. Both the IntraLase and the microkeratome produce great results when a great surgeon is using them.
At The Khanna Institute, Dr. Khanna uses both the IntraLase laser and the microkeratome and has excellent results with both. Based on the results of your full eye examination, he will discuss which tool will be better for your Custom LASIK procedure.
If you are considering transforming your vision with LASIK eye surgery, please contact The Khanna Institute today to schedule a free LASIK screening. We serve patients throughout the Los Angeles area, with offices in Beverly Hills and Westlake Village, California. Better, clearer vision is just around the corner!